||Tulong, Alay Sa Taong May Kapansanan
WHAT IS TULAY
- ILO Convention No. 159 - requires all member countries to formulate, implement and periodical review a national policy on vocational rehabilitation and employment of disabled persons.
- Magna Carta for Disabled Persons (RA 7277) - an act for the rehabilitation, self-development and self-reliance of disabled persons and their integration into the mainstream of society. (IRR) Implementing Rules and Regulations of the Magna Carta for Disabled Persons
- UN - ESCAP Declaration of an Asian and Pacific Decade of Disabled Persons, 1993 - 2002 - gives fresh impetus to implementation of the World Programme of Action Concerning Disabled Persons in the ESCAP region beyond 1992.
- Proclamation No. 125 - mandates the nationwide observance in the Philippines of the Asian and Pacific Decade of Disabled Persons, 1993 - 2002.
- Executive Order No. 261 - Creating an inter-agency committee on employment promotion, protection and rehabilitation of persons with disabilities. (IRR) Rules and Regulations Implementing Executive Order No. 261
To assist in the integration of persons with disability in the mainstream of society through
training and employment.
- Skill Map
A national registry of PWDs shall be established and a map skills showing the distribution
of PWDs by area, type of disability, age, sex, skills, educational attainment, work
experience and other demographic characteristics shall be prepared. This will help define
approriate strategies as well as specific assistance that could be extended to individuals
or groups of PWDs.
To enhance the employability of PWDs, skills training programs suited to their interests,
potentials and circumstances shall be developed and conducted in selected government and
private training institutions. The PWDs shall have the option to choose from any of the
following training areas:
- industrial skills
- livelihood skills
- entrepreneurship skills
- Wage Employment
PWDs whose qualifications are suited for wage employment shall be referred to private
companies or government agencies where job vacancies are made available for them. For this
purpose, a skills pool of PWDs as well as list of prospective employers shall be maintaned
for quick reference.
- Self - employment
PWDs who are inclined towards self - employment shall be encouraged to set up their own
self - employment projects either individually or in group. Technical as well as financial
assistance shall be extended to them in coordination with government livelihood agencies
and financing institutions and non-government organizations.
- Registration of persons with disabilities.
- Inventory/Survey of companies, government and non - government agencies, local government units and funding institutions (local and foreign) and programs for PWDs.
- Networking and close coordination with private companies, GOs, NGOs, LGUs and funding institutions particurlarly those with for PWDs.
- Maintenance of a skills pool of persons with disabilities.
- Establishment of cooperatives, production workshops and self - employment projects.
- Active advocacy and information campaign to awaken public conscience to the need to create employment opportunities for PWDs.
- Development of capability of program implementors for successful program implementation.
- Close monitoring of enforcement laws pertaining to employment of persons with disabilities.
For more information visit the nearest local PESO office in your area or, the DOLE Regional,
Provincial and District Offices.