WHAT IS SPES?
The Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is mandated under
Republic Act No. 9547
otherwise known as "An Act To Help Poor But Deserving
Students Pursue Their Education By Encouraging Their Employment During Summer and/or
Christmas Vacations, Through Incentives Granted to Employers, Allowing Them to Pay
Only Sixty Per Centum of Their Salaries or Wages and The Forty Per Centum Through
Education Vouchers To Be Paid By the Government, Prohibiting and Penalizing The Filing of
Fraudulent and Fictitious Claims, and For Other Purposes", Under this law, the Secretary
of Labor and Employment is designated Program Director of the SPES.
The objective of the SPES is to develop the intellectual capacities of children of poor
families and harness their potentials for the country's well being. Specifically, the
Program aims to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by providing
income or augment their income through encouraging their employment during summer and/or
The SPES is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational students or drop-outs
and interested employers.
Students and Drop-outs
- 15-25 years old
- enrolled during the present school year/term or during the school year/term immediately preceeding the summer vacation
- dropout who intend to continue his education
- parents' combined net income after tax, including his own, if any, does not exceed P36,000 per annum
- garnerned a passing grade during the school year/term referred above or in case of dropout, the last year/term attended
- his/her parents has been displaced or about to be displaced due to business closure or work stoppage provided he/she meets a, b and d above.
- 1. any person or entity who has employed at least 50 workers at any given time during the past 12 months.
- Duly filled Registration Form 01 (3 copies) with ID pictures attached and attested by the school principal or registrar.
- Any of the following to attest his/her age:
Any of the following to attest the students' rating:
- Birth/baptismal certificate
- Form 138 where age is specified
- Joint Affidavit of two disinterested parties pertaining to the age of student.
Latest Income Tax Return of the Parents / or a certification from the employer/union president that the parent of the applicant is to be displaced or have been displaced.
WHERE TO APPLY?
- Form 138 (High School Report Card)
- Certification by School Registrar that the student has a passing school grade during the previous semester/school year
- Certified true copy of the student's class card where his/her passing could be determined
- Students-applicants may apply at any of the following: DOLE Regional/District/Provincial Office, Public Employment Service Offices (PESOs), or other deputized entities.
- Employers may signify their intention to hire students by signing a Pledge of Commitment and submitting it to the nearest PESOs/DOLE Regional Offices.
For more information visit the nearest local PESO office in your area or, the DOLE Regional,
Provincial and District Offices.